Origins

Thomas Goss and family arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship Eliza. Of interest, a fellow passenger was none other than Charles Sturt, the famed explorer, who was returning to the colony as Colonial Secretary.

From Harberton near Totnes in Devon, Goss was Post Master in McLaren Vale before he trekked to Ballarat Goldfields in 1851 where he struck it lucky, finding £1,500 worth of gold.

On August 9th 1854 Goss acquired Ingleburne, upon which his family built an imposing Georgian residence and successive generations farmed grain and sheep for the next 144 years.

In 1993, Tony Parkinson purchased 37 acres of original Goss farming land which had been planted to vines in 1991. This was to become the Malpas Road Vineyard. In 1996 more original Goss land was purchased, planted and named Goss Corner Vineyard.

In 1998, Keith Rowland, great-great-grandson of Thomas Goss sold the Ingleburne homestead property to Tony Parkinson to convert to cellars for Penny's Hill, from which Thomas Goss wines would later be sold. This purchase reunited the original Thomas Goss section (80 acres) of farming land.